[Sca-cooks] OOP: spice mix packets

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 27 20:46:03 PST 2002

Paneer was my first reaction, too, so I was glad to hear about yogurt...
and yes, that makes more sense in many ways as a sauce.

Tofu is not an Indian food, so that would not be what the manufacturer
meant.

*However*

Some years ago, an Indian co-worker of mine reported gleefully that she
had tried substituting it for paneer in a recipe, and it worked, and her
husband couldn't tell she'd done anything differently...   After all,
paneer had to be made, by her, fresh... she'd been looking at the tofu
in the market and thinking it looked the same, and the descriptions
sounded similar...  and buying it was certainly easier.  I don't think
it would work in everything, but in some dishes paneer is mostly mild
cubes of something that absorbs the flavor and adds protein. Works for that!

Anne
who used a commercial Biryani paste to make dinner tonight.