[Sca-cooks] Re: Salted herring now salt cod

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 31 15:35:14 PST 2002

Also sprach Ciorstan:
>Robert writes:
>
>>the easyest ricipe for salt cod i know is to soak for
>>3 days,changing the water every 8-12 hrs.this removes
>>the salt and plumps the fish.
>>shread the fish .place shreaded fish on bread add hot
>>sauce and in joy!
>

>Robert-- that sounds perilously close to LUTEFISK!

I guess it would depend on the sauce. But the actual fish is
different, too. I note that the method described above seems to cook
the fish in the heat of the sauce (or are we being imprecise here?),
and then the dried cod used for lutefisk isn't salted. But the
presentation for lutefisk is fairly close to this. There's actually a
recipe for what is pretty clearly lutefisk in Sabina Welserin.

>Olwen, is now a good time to mention that I didn't get any Christmas
>presents this year? (sniffle)
>
>ciorstan

Please forgive me; this is a necessary formality. But were you a bad
Ciorstan this year? Were you naughty or nice?

Adamantius