[Sca-cooks] Period Fish/Food Question (Gasp!)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 31 17:14:06 PST 2002

Adamantius commented:
>>Now, not knowing much about fishies except that I like to eat the
>>less fishy tasting ones I thought this might be a way
>>to sneak fish into my upcoming sideboardy-thingie. Much to my
>>suprise I discover that Sturgeon is realllllllly
>>expensive.
>
> Some species are endangered, and even those that aren't endangered
> are not hugely abundant. Unless somebody is farming the critters, why
> would it not be expensive? There's a reason why real caviar costs
> what it does.
Sturgeon is currently being farmed. Like the Salmon (or venison for that

matter) there is an on-going argument that the farmed versions are not
as tasty as the wild versions. I suspect that this farming is oriented
toward harvesting the eggs, so I don't know if the meat is making it into
the food chain. Even if it is, I suspect it would still be expensive.

In period, sturgeon was not a cheap meat either. It did keep better than
many other fish types though, so it did get transported inland more than
other types. I seem to remember it being harvested in Spain and other areas
which we don't think of today as sturgeon areas.

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com