[Sca-cooks] Food Safety while cooking

Tara Sersen Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Mon Feb 4 15:07:10 PST 2002

>>The solution doesn't have to be that strong.  One part bleach to ten parts
>>water works as a sanitizer without harming clothes.
>
> also distilled vinegar and water works great. Nontoxic unlike that bleach
> stuff. Bleach may be great as a sanitizer, but damn is bad for the
> environment!

Not entirely good for the environment.  If you're washing it down the
sink into your septic system, it'll be dilluted enough not to hurt
anything;  If you're using it for floor cleaner (like I do,) it's fine.
  But, if you're using it in a mop bucket for that floor, don't dump the
bucket outside in your yard - it'll kill plenty and acidify the soil for
quite some time.  Strong vinegar solutions are used for destroying pest
plants like poison ivy.  But, you have to plan not to use the plot of
land for a few years, or build a raised bed full of fresh soil over top
of what you just acidified.

Of course, the concentration you're talking about is lower than the
widespread destruction concentration used by desperate gardeners (like
me and my husband who gets poison ivy all over his body by walking
within a yard of it, I swear.  We only own two acres of the stuff.)
Don't be afraid of it ;)  Just don't assume it's completely non-toxic
and harmless and treat it as such, like using it to wash dishes in camp
and then dumping it on the grass every day of Pennsic.

-Magdalena