[Sca-cooks] Cooking with Bonzer- or, Adventures in Modern Cooking

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 13:00:14 PST 2002

--- Sandra Kisner <sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu> wrote:
> Adventures indeed!  But I have a couple of
> questions, since my computer doesn't speak the same
> language as yours....

Ooops- Yahoo doesn't read it, either- I just
remembered enough that I didn't need to check, but I
forgot to change things on the email.

> >Falscher Wildschweinbraten
> >Fresh Ham, Mock-Boar Style
> >
> > 2 c dry red wine
> > 1 tsp ground cloves
> > = c red wine vinegar
>
>      How much red wine vinegar?

1/2 cup

> >Roast until the thermometer reads 1700 to 1750.)
>
>      I'll assume that's 170 degrees to 175 degrees.
> :-)

Yeah. I did catch the one which told me to put it in a
3250 degree oven- otherwise, I'd have had to fire up
my forge ;-)

> >To serve, carve the ham into <-inch slices and
> arrange
>
>      How thick?

1/4 inch

>      This is a marvelous-looking recipe, and since I
> don't have a cat, one I might succeed in making
> without too much difficulty.

Well, if you're so unfortunate as to be catless,
perhaps we can fix that......

Actually, so far, it tastes great. Since the recipe is
for an uncooked ham rather than for a cooked ham, I'm
using it to flavor the ham, rather than cook it, so I
marinated it for 24 rather than 48 hours (also, it's
been cut into smaller pieces) and I'm cooking it at a
lower temperature, sealed so I don't lose the juices
and dry it out. Ham is nice, because as long as you
don't dry it out, you can add flavors to it without
overcooking it.

Bonzer has been continuing to help, however. I went
over to check something in the recipe, and came back
and found him tasting the marinade. Anybody have a
good recipe for drunken cat?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,