[Sca-cooks] Good Huswife's Jewell recipes, Typos

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 8 22:56:09 PST 2002

Adamantius wrote:

>Elizabeth of Dendermonde wrote:
>
>>Katherine wrote:
>>>Season them with salt and pepper, and put in butter, and so let them
>>>bake, and when they be baked, boile a few barberries and pruines,
>>
>>prunes?
>
>Looks like it; it seems to appear elsewhere in the text spelled that
>way, and I've seen references to prunes in various English sources
>spelled "pruynes", so I suspect this is a precedented spelling of a
>common word.

Could be--but given that the u and the i are next to each other on
the keyboard, I thought it was worth checking to see if it was a
recent typo (as opposed to period spelling).

>Oh, re the tart pastry question: I think, somewhere in that source,
>or perhaps a contemporary one, a recipe for pastry for tarts and
>florentines...

There is a recipe for tart pastry in (I think) A Proper Newe Book of
Cookery. What I wondered was whether, given that you have several
tart recipes in the book Katherine was transcribing which don't
mention pastry, it was safe to assume that anything labeled a tart in
fact had a crust.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook