[Sca-cooks] Good Huswife's Jewell recipes, Typos

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Sat Feb 9 10:52:11 PST 2002

Elizabeth wrote:

>>and when they be
>>boyled enough, put them into a bowle, and straine them with sugar,
>>synamon and ginger.
>
> Does he earlier say anything about crusts on all these tarts?

I'm afraid not :(

>>Season them with salt and pepper, and put in butter, and so let them
>>bake, and when they be baked, boile a few barberries and pruines,
>
> prunes?

Authentic mis-spelling, that one.

>>Take twoo
>
> two?

And again, that's what Dawson wrote.

>>Quinces, and twoo or three Burre rootes, and a potaton, and
>>pare your Potaton, and scrape your rootes and put them into a quart of
>>wine, and let them boyle till they bee tender, & put in an ounce of
>>Dates, and when they be boyled tender, Drawe them through a strainer,
>>wine and all, and then put in the yolkes of eight Egges, and the braynes
>>of three or foure cocke Sparrowes, and straine them into the other, and
>>a little Rose water, and seeth them all with suger, Cinamon and Gynger,
>>and Cloves and mace, and put in a little sweet butter, and set it upon a
>>chafingdish of coles betweene two platters, and so let it boyle till it
>>be something bigge.
>
> One could do some interesting schtick with this one, but some of the
> ingredients might be hard to find. Are burdock roots commercially
> available? (I know you can find them growing wild in many parts of
> the country, but I haven't seen them around here--West Kingdom.) Any
> guesses about what kind of "potaton" this would be--sweet or white?
> And I have no idea where one would get the brains of male sparrows.

No idea on any of those, I'm afraid.  Best thing for the burdock might
be to grow it yourself.  For the sparrows brains, perhaps the only thing
would be to substitute brains of any other small bird.  I wonder if a good
poulterer would have quails' brains?  Imagine how tiny they must be!

>>pruines, Currantes and Dates cutte verye small, and Reasons of he Sunne,
>
> of _the_ Sunne? and does he really spell raisons that way?

Yes, he really spells it that way.

Thanks for catching the other typos; I'll fix them up soonish.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/