[Sca-cooks] FREEZING WINE......

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Feb 10 19:04:57 PST 2002

>I just got this tip from a health food newsletter I get. Now I am asking
>folks on the list.  What is your opinion of freezing wine for later use in
>cooking? A good idea or a bad one?

I don't usualy have a problem with that, as the wine gets either drunk
within the next few days (using vaccuum preservation for those days).

However, I remember a sommelier I worked with who told me he had done
several experiments in terms of freezing wine, for drinking, not cooking,
and that the quality loss was not all that significant.  This to me means
that it'll survive freeze/thaw well for cooking purposes.  I'd certainly
test it.

As for anything else, make sure the thing is well covered so it doesn't
soak flavours and smells ambiant in the freezer.

>PS: If you DO like to cook, here's a quick tip: Ice cube trays are a
>convenient  way to freeze wine. These small  amounts are perfect for cooking
>and will save buying a bottle of wine when you need only 1/2 cup for a recipe.

Ice cube trays work wonders for sauce bases as well...

I usualy take the cubes out of the tray and put them in ziploc bags for
longer preservation.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom