[Sca-cooks] apician ham [pernam]

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 11 21:34:13 PST 2002

Adamantius replied to Margali with:
> >Stefan, please, for the love of whatever diety you happen to favor, please
> >get rid of that and put in the proper recipe for pernam...the one i sent to
> >the list last week!
> >margali
> >wincing at bad translations
> >
> >the quote starts here:
> >Yes, there is an Apician one.
> >
> >"You take ham, cover it with a paste of figs and honey then cover it
> >with a pastry crust and bake. It's really good."
>
> Doesn't the Apician recipe call for boiling the meat with the figs,
> then coating with honey and the pastry, and presumably discarding the
> figs?

Well, I checked my ham-msg files here at home and at work to see if
I had saved your message to go into the ham-msg file in the
Florilegium. But your messages aren't in these. I also looked in
fd-Italy-msg. I made a stab at looking for the message in the back
digests, but haven't had time to look very far. I suspect that I did not
realize that your comments were about period ham or maybe about ham at
all. Because I only have a limited time to spend on each message,
sometimes this happens. Hey, if I was an expert, maybe I would be
writing the articles instead of just trying to save the tidbits that
the experts do pass around.

If you can give me a better idea which digest it was in or which day it
would have been that may help by narrowing the amount of material I
need to search through. Or by sending it to me by email if you have
a copy in your 'sent' folder.

As to removing a message because someone else disagrees with it, that
is something I tend not to do. However, I am willing to add opposing
viewpoints and then let the reader decide which is correct.

I have quoted only the briefest mention to this Apician recipe
above. There are several other messages about it. I think at least
one of those was originally by Admantius.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net