[Sca-cooks] Chinese/Cuban resturants

Jaime Declet jjdeclet at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 09:52:05 PST 2002

  Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

Okay, I was not aware that a large number of Chinese went to Cuba to
work on the sugar plantations. With that, yes it makes more sense.
Some of the best "Chinese" food I've had was in Salt Lake City. Why?
because that is near where the trans-continental railroad was
finished and the Chinese laborers, almost all working for the
Union Pacific, were released in 1869. So, some stayed in the area.

Rather than being two seperate cuisines that happened to be served
in the same resturant, as I at first suspected, given the details
above I would expect to see more of a melding of Chinese and
Cuban cooking rather than two distinct cuisines. Was this your
experience there, Brighid?

Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas stefan at texas.net
 The best Chinese food I have ever had was in Puerto Rico.  I have come to the realization that Chinese cuisine tends to absorb part of the aspects from the cuisine of the country were they are.  I might be wrong for generalizing this but that was the case there.  There was something to the flavor of the Chinese food there that I have not seen here in the states.

Jaime