[Sca-cooks] Adamantius' deification

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 12 22:43:49 PST 2002

>  > Certainly my own experience is that a lot more people (but not all)
>>  are doing work in cookery as a matter of course that equals or
>>  exceeds the best achievements of Laurels for cookery even five years
>>  ago (jeez, I've been a Laurel for going on five years, and I was on
>>  this list well before that).
>
>Interesting, considering since this list first formed in April 1997,
>it is not quite five years old. :-)

You've mentioned this before, but I think you may be mistaken about
the starting date. I recall joining it  on the day Gunthar dropped a
line about it to the East Kingdom list, and I seem to recall that was
in March of 96. I could be wrong, though, but I also don't remember
you from that far back, so either the list is older than you think,
or perhaps I just don't remember you because I didn't know who you
were at the time.

>>  Adamantius, not expecting deification in his own lifetime
>
>Hmmm. Doesn't the Catholic Church have a set schedule for this? A
>certain number of years that must be spent at each stage? And I
>think you have to be dead to reach that first stage. :-)

Well, maybe, but then I wouldn't want to upset the ecumenistic apple
cart. It's bad enough we worship saints and perform witchcraft in the
Mass, or so I've heard, but note that I said "deification", not
"canonization". Kinda hard to have that in a monotheistic religion,
don'tcha think? Therefore, these distinctions are irrelevant. I'm
goin' for the whole enchilada here... or, rather, as I'm _not_
expecting deification, perhaps I'm _not_ going for the whole
enchilada.

Do Jai Spring Rolls count?

>St. Adamantius? But I do hear that some of the stages are pretty
>rough. Or did they eliminate that martyr bit? :-)

Yeah, maybe some saint was really ugly and served God better by dying
old and in bed, I dunno. But the bottom line is that while martyrs
seem to have something of an entre into sainthood (although it's not
a done deal; not all martyrs are saints, at least not canonized
officially, AFAIK), quite a few saints have died of natural causes,
more or less.

Adamantius