[Sca-cooks] temperature of served period food

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Wed Feb 13 08:20:38 PST 2002

<So I'm not sure the lack of a King around effects things that much.>

Long ago, I was hall steward for a feast, and this is what happened. It
was the very first feast for 2 (now) highly accomplished ladies, and we
had a very blonde King who would NOT put his royal ass in the chair.

I got my hands on a friendly neighborhood duke and politely threatened
his life if he did not grab the King, shove him down in the chair and
HOLD him there until 1 plate was on the table. Said duke performed his
duty with much less force than I suggested, the head server RAN up the
aisle with a platter and put it on the table. His Blondness blinked as
if awakening from a long winter's nap and said something pithy like "Oh,
was I delaying dinner?".

The rest of the feast went perfectly.

One of those ladies is now a Laurel (but not for cooking), and the other
is on this list.

Respectfully submitted,

MD/Marged