[Sca-cooks] Adamantius' deification

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 14 03:56:19 PST 2002

Stefan sez:

>I remember Gunthar mentioning this new list he had started having
>to do with cooking in the SCA. I think it took me a day or two to
>finally get around to signing up. Much of the first week or two
>was spent with introductions, although I seem to remember a
>conversation on how to cook a large pot of rice/frumenty without
>burning it.

The first real "thread" I remember involved an assertion made by a
lady in Aethelmearc, whose name has since escaped me, although I
don't think she's around anymore, that a recipe she had for what
resembled cameline sauce (which contained toasted breadcrumbs,
cinnamon, raisins or currants, beef broth or drippings, etc., the
usual cameline sauce suspects), was, in fact, saracen sauce, which
seems to usually involve almond milk and rose hips, as I recall. No
amount of recipes quoted from original sources seemed able to
convince the lady that she was actually talking about cameline sauce,
because somebody (Master So-and-So) had told her it was saracen
sauce, even though it had no ingredients in common with any
documentable recipe for saracen sauce.

>I checked some of the introductions I saved at work and they were
>early April, 1997. Within a week of joining this list, I decided
>that individual messages weren't going to cut it, and switched
>to the digest.

<my intro snipped.>

I suspect that the intro you quote is either not the original intro
and/or that the list had been around a while before I bothered to
write it, having originally held the view that we weren't really on
the list to talk about ourselves... we were here to talk about
Twinkies and cameline sauce, and cuskynoles weren't even a gleam in
my eye. I think perhaps some combination of being a generally
reserved Easterner (I don't want to hear a floggin' WORD!!!) and a
perception of netiquette at the time might have led me to avoid
posting an extensive intro, unless I was sure it was becoming a
widespread practice. In addition, there have been several waves of
new people joining the list, and at least some of the old-timers have
posted an intro for the benefit of new people on more than one
occasion.

For the benefit of the new people on this list, the numbers have gone
up since 1997, but the rest still applies, more or less. ;-)

Adamantius