[Sca-cooks] wheat-free dairy-free diet in period or OOP

Linda M. Kalb lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 15 09:14:56 PST 2002

Thank you for the suggestions!  Mixing is a good idea; now that you mention
it I remember that that is what is recommended for weaning from formula to
milk (something I didn't do because my son breastfed).  I got the plain soy
milk and added the chocolate syrup he was used to having in chocolate
milk.  I guess I might as well get soy milk that is already chocolate
flavored and mix that with cow's milk.

At 11:21 AM 2/15/02, you wrote:

>Inga-  Can you "phase in" the soy milk?  I've found that mixing it half and
>half with regular milk, then gradually reducing the percentage of regular
>milk gives someone time to get used to the flavor.  Also, the flavored soy
>milks tend to be easier to transition to first - like using vanilla flavored
>soy milk instead of the plain.  My son has really taken to the Silk
>chocolate soy milk - and he is a real dairy fiend.  You might also want to
>make sure the soy milk is super cold.
>
>I've used soymilk in baking with no problem, and have used tofu in recipes
>with good luck.  Cooking Light, May 2001 had some great dessert recipes
>involving tofu instead of diary - even a cookies and cream ice cream.  They
>may have these recipes online at their site.
>
>My son also likes the soy cheese,

Finding a soy cheese my son likes would be great!  I think he loves cheese
even more than he loves chocolate milk.