[Sca-cooks] wheat-free dairy-free diet in period or OOP

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:03:35 PST 2002

>Quoting "Linda M. Kalb" <lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu>:
>
> > He's not celiac as far as I know.  But he does have esophageal reflux
>and
> > possible allergies.  His long-term diarrhea stopped and he finally had a
> > normal bowel movement when he stopped drinking cow's milk.
>
>Sounds lactose intolerant to me. If you really really have to give him
>bovine
>dairy, try LactAid. (That may be why Olwen tolerates goat's milk - less
>lactose
>than cow's milk.)
>
>Avraham haRofeh

Actually I can drink milk right out of the cow with no side effects at all.
Cheese is fine for me too, so is yogurt.  It's the processing of the milk
that makes it difficult for a lot of folks.  There are different levels of
temperature that are used for pasturization and homogenization.  Homogenized
milk is terrible for people.  The fat particals in the milk are transformed
into such small bits that they easily pass right through the walls of the
stomach and intestine.  Great.  Loose fat running all amuck throughout your
system!  And the only real reason they pasturise is to get a longer shelf
life.  Sure, in days past there may have been some contamination of the milk
but with todays veterinary standards and the controls set by the govenment
the chances of disease is slim to none.
Olwen