[Sca-cooks] from Purgatory again-RE 'How to Assess Advice'

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Tue Feb 19 20:18:37 PST 2002

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Now I am a bit of a... less than well mannered person at times. If
> someone walked up to me and said "They didn't put gores in T-tunics!
> T-tunics were cut in T's and nothing more! Yours is wrong." I would be
> sorely tempted to say (after someone handed him back his face) something
> like "How odd then, that so many people in period were buried in wool
> twill tunics with gores, just like this one, and that we can verify this
> through several forms of dating. I suppose they left the poly-cotton
> t-tunics with flopping facings and cheap metallic braid trim such as
> yours at home for their children to fight over and hand down through the
> generations." And someone would send for Edouard, who would retrieve me
> and carry me off muttering "Last time I let _you_ out of camp before you
> finish your tea!"

I may be a seneschal, but I'm not an utter fool. Hey, if Seigneur
Caillot Manquebête wants to defy Darwin and the Fates, who am I to
preserve his DNA and appendages for future generations. He's not my
sibling or a cousin, so I'm not giving the alarm call. (inside
socio-biology reference)

I doubt I could even get you out of camp before your tea.

> This all translates to food too. I'm just waiting for someone to serve
> M&C from a box because Someone told them macaroni and cheese is period.
> Not if it comes in the Blue and Yellow box, it ain't. But there's no
> convincing some people. (And I must note- Regina insists that the Blue
> and Yellow box could quite well be period! Cardboard, pasta, what's the
> diff? They both break down eventually in a landfill. So if the Tudors
> had banana peels, maybe they had Kraft M&C...)

I've yet to see any documentation that _macaroni_ in it's modern shape
is historic. Pasta and cheese, yes, I've seen enough of that, mostly a
flat, wide noodle like modern lasagne. ANd not covered in processed
cheddar, American, or Velveta.

Edouard