[Sca-cooks] Andouille Sausage?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Thu Feb 21 10:41:17 PST 2002

At 10:01 AM 2/21/02,Mark.S Harris said something like:

>What is an "al fresco banquet"? I assume it is not one where the only
>beverage served is a grapefruit based fizzy one....

In this case we'll be serving the feast to honor Baron Talanque at the same
park as the Talanque Tourney.  As a challenge I am taking on a feast which
will be cooked on a grill.  I've received complaints that middle eastern
has just been done to death, soooooooo... my next brilliant concept was
SAUSAGES!! Everybody likes sausages, they're very easy to cook, and not all
that hard to make (once you have the right recipe).

>I had said:
> > I've already played with bratwurst recipes, the one Sabine Welserin wrote
> > was received with great gusto by my guinea pigs already.  The spicing
> > difference between it and the modern version of the recipe was very marked.
>
>Because different spices were used? Or the quantities used?

The modern recipes called for garlic, nutmeg/mace, milk soaked breadcrumbs,
etc. The Sabina Welserin one was just marjoram and sage.  The meat
ingredients were remarkably similar, but the spicings were wayyyy different
in each one.

We've already had the adventures in groundmeats being forced through
inadequate utensils into hog casings, so that concept we now have down just
fine.

>Well, the following is from my sausages-msg file.
>
>Stefan li Rous
>
> > Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:56:45 -0400
> > From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> > Subject: Re: Chorizos (was Re: SC - Sausages from the Danish cookbook)
> >

> > I'm wondering, though, if another original typifying factor (and one
> > which may since have been lost, as per the example that follows) was a
> > specific piece or part of intestine, stuffed in a particular way. For
> > example, French saucisson andouille and andouillettes were originally
> > made from either rolled tripe or intestine threaded in and out of itself
> > repeatedly, until it was, essentially, an intestine stuffed with itself.
> > BTW, those are heavily spiced, usually with paprika and garlic, among
> > others, and smoked.
> >
> > Adamantius

Hmmm, this andouille concept looks easier all the time.  We'll have to
debate and decide if we'll smoke some partially before the event, and
finish them up on the grill, or adopt some 'cheater' shortcuts.

I'd like to thank all of you that have given me such marvellous information
already!!

The Calafian Cook's Guild will be discussing this at their meeting next
week, and now I actually have a starting point.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.