[Sca-cooks] Tea water, was raised crusts

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Feb 25 14:02:54 PST 2002

Adamantius commented:
>  And whether the tea the server drinks is in an English style.

Ok, what defines the "English style"? I think you later mentioned
the "Chinese style" or the "Indian style". Is this the differance
between these due to the use of different teas? Ways of preparing
the tea? Different ways of serving it?

>  I've always gotten the impression that the _occasional_ server (I
>  have never been a server and so will not generalize) will "punish"
>  the customer for any request that is out of the ordinary. Ask for a
>  dish to be hotter, spicier, more well-done, less well-done, etc., and
>  you can get something prepared to such an extreme as to make it
>  nearly inedible by most people's standards.

Sometimes this results in the unexpected. Apparently there was a
customer in the northeast US who asked that his fried potatoes, ie:
what the Americans call "French fries" and what the British
call "chips" be sliced thinly. When they came out, he got
upset and sent them back, saying they were not thin enough. The cook,
figuring he'd get even for this insolence, sliced the potatos wafer
thin, fried them and sent them out. The customer thought these were
wonderful and raved about them to his friends, who came in asking
for them. Thus was born the American potato chip industry.

Stefan li Rous