[Sca-cooks] Food Myths

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 27 07:00:05 PST 2002

How much time do you have before the show?

You might want to get copies of Food History
News which is a food historian's newsletter that
has an on-going series on debunking food myths like
Catherine de Medici being responsible for French
cuisine and rotten meat and spicing. These articles
are not on-line by the way.
You can see the website for the newsletter at:
http://foodhistorynews.com/

Write to Sandy Oliver and ask which back issues would be
best for this talk. She's very helpful. The cost roughly
ought to be $4 an issue. Or maybe your library can
have them interlibrary loaned.

I would browse the files at the Food Network and see
what they have done or do in terms of recipes. You can
always cheat and have steps combined so you put the
raw dough into the oven and at the same time pull
out the finished product to decorate. Or start midway
through with a link to the station's website for all the
steps written out there.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

Rob Downie wrote:
regarding---
> favorite food myths regarding period food, and de-bunking them.
  If anyone either has an idea of
> the dates for me to track down the archived discussion, or would like to
> post their personal favorites (e.g. meats were heavilly spiced to cover
> up the flavour of rotting meat), I would appreciate it.  Heck, you can
> even e-mail me privately if you like.>
> The reason I ask is that we've been asked to do a medieval cooking
> segment on a local morning show, and thought that would be a good topic
> to touch on.  For that matter, does anyone have any ideas as to what
> would be a good recipe that lends itself to being filmed in 15 minute
> segments?
 Any ideas?