[Sca-cooks] Lots of pickles

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 27 12:49:59 PST 2002

From: "Olwen the Odd" <olwentheodd at hotmail.com>
>  > > The recipe from Von Guter Spise is my very favorite.  I have found though
>  > > that making it as close as possible to the actual event time is best. It
>  > > tends to get really really really strong and have quite a bite after a
>  > > couple of days.  I have made a couple of modifications to mine from the
>  > > original recipe.  Instead of peppercorns I use cubebs (only
>because I don't
>  > > use pepper at home, I use cubebs, so I didn't have pepper) and
>lacking white
>  > > or wine vinegar I use(d) champaine vinegar although I have made it with
>  > > other kinds.  We served this at Baronial Birthday and it was very well
>  > > recieved.
>  >
>  >Recipe please!!!!!
>  >
>  >Avraham
>
>Hey, has someone got this?  I don't have the recipe here at work with me
>unless it is in my other email account.  Well, if you don't get it Avraham,
>let me know and I'll get it to you.
>
>Olwen

I already sent a link to it to the list in the [Re: [Sca-cooks]
recipes re: lots of pickles] message i sent Tue, 26 Feb 2002, at
10:47:45. Here it is again. For those who don't have web access, i'll
include the original recipe below.

Arte asked:
>   Would you mind sharing the recipes you have for pickling?  I just got
>   involved in pickling this year (last year I was making jams...yummy),
>   so if you wouldn't mind to share?

Well, i didn't make the pickles you're asking about, but, i have
worked out recipes that i made for Boar Hunt 2001 for on my website:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/2001Relishes.html
The lemons with pomegranates is a fresh relish. The rest are pickles.
I made several gallons of each for the feast.

-- Lemon chopped with sugar and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds -
Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, German, 1581
-- Marinated Beets with horseradish in red wine vinegar and red wine
with spices - Marx Rumpolt
(needed more horseradish, IMO)
-- A condiment of Cucumber - in white wine vinegar with spices,
saffron, and mustard - Ein Buch von Guter Spise, German, 14th c.
-- A condiment of Red Cabbage -in red wine vinegar with honey and
spices - Guter Spise
-- Pickled Button Mushrooms - in white wine vinegar and white wine,
with spices and fresh ginger - "Lady Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt
Book", late 16th century, and "Sir Kenelm Digbie's Closet Unlock'd
(or is it Open'd?)", mid-17th century

The whole menu with access to all the recipes is at:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/2001Menu.html

And there's the Compost recipe i made for Boar Hunt 2000 - 4 gallons
of the stuff. Most of it got eaten.
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/compost.html
It's really good as a side dish, sort of like a chutney - goes with
chicken, pork, vegetables... I made my own Lombard mustard for this.
It was quite good.

The whole menu with access to all the recipes is at:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/menu.html

----- End Previous Message -----

Here are the recipes themselves from my web page:

ORIGINAL
37, Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, 1581
Lemon chopped with sugar and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds

How I made Lemon-Pomegranate Relish

10 medium lemons
5 pomegranates
plenty of granulated sugar

1. Peel pomegranates, separating seeds into a large bowl, removing
all pith. Pomegranates contain tannin and will stain clothes and
hands. Be sure to wear an apron - and latex gloves if you wish.
Sprinkle seeds with sugar.
3. Chop lemons up completely and finely, removing only the seeds.
5. Mix with pomegranate seeds.
4. Sprinkle with lots sugar. Let stand. Add more sugar as necessary.

ORIGINAL
Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch, 1581
3. Rote Ruben: Red beets preserved with small cut horseradish/ anise/
coriander/ and a little caraway/ special if the beets are cut/
marinated in half wine and half vinegar.

How I made Red Roots (Marinated Beets with Horseradish)
makes about 1 gallon

              10 large red beets, cut into medium-small chunks
              2 cup red wine
              2 cup red wine vinegar (white or cider will do)
              1-1/2 feet of fresh horseradish root, peeled and cut into slivers
              1-1/2 TB salt
              1 tsp whole anise seed
              1 tsp whole caraway seed
              2 tsp whole coriander seed

1. Cut up beets.
2. Combine all ingredients except beets in a pot. Bring to a boil,
then lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Add the beets and heat through.
4. Place in jar or crock and let mellow for at least 24 hours, up to
two weeks in a cook place.

NOTE: I thought this needed more horseradish. Next time i'll add some
prepared horseradish (the kind made of nothing but horseradish, such
as Bubbie's).

ORIGNIAL
A condiment
Ein Buch von Guter Spise, 14th century
48. Ein condimentlin. Flavor caraway seeds and anise with pepper and
with vinegar and with honey. And make it gold with saffron. And add
thereto mustard. In this condiment you may make sulze (pickled or
marinated) parsley, and small preserved fruit and vegetables, or
beets, which(ever) you want.

How I made A Condiment of Cucumber
makes about 1 gallon

              5 cucumbers, peeled
              3/4 tsp whole caraway seeds
              3/4 tsp whole fennel seeds
              3/4 tsp whole dill seed
              1 tsp whole peppercorns
              1/2 tsp salt
              2/3 cup honey
              2 cup white wine vinegar to cover, more as needed (white will do)
              1/4 tsp saffron
              1 TB powdered mustard

1. Grind caraway, fennel, and dill seeds with salt and pepper.
2. Mix in vinegar and honey.
3. Add saffron and mustard.
4. Put in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the honey melts
into the vinegar. Remove from heat.
5. Put prepared cucumbers in warm marinade and let stand for at least 1 hour.
6. Taste - adjust seasonings as needed. Keep covered in cook place until feast.

How I made A Condiment of Red Cabbage
makes more than 1 gallon - but i managed to jam it into a one-gallon container

              4 heads of Red Cabbage, cored and shredded
              1 TB whole caraway seeds
              2 tsp whole anise seeds
              2 tsp whole peppercorns
              1 tsp salt
              4 cups red wine vinegar
              2 cups honey

1. Grind caraway seeds with aniseed, salt, and pepper.
2. Mix in vinegar and honey.
3. Add saffron and mustard.
4. Put in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the honey melts
into the vinegar. Remove from heat.
5. Put prepared cabbage in marinade and let stand for at least 1 hour.
6. Taste - adjust seasonings as needed. Keep covered in cook place until feast.

                      NOTE: I made the pickling liquids different,
                      so they wouldn't taste the same.

Pickled Button Mushrooms

To Pickle Mushrooms
Lady Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book, 16th century

Take your Buttons, clean ym with a sponge & put ym in cold water as
you clean ym, then put ym dry in a stewpan & shake a handful of salt
over ym, yn stew ym in their own liquor till they are a little
tender; then strain ym from ye liquor & put ym upon a cloath to dry
till they are quite cold. Make your Pickle before you do your
mushrooms, yt may be quite cold before you put ym in. The Pickle must
be made with White-Wine, White-Pepper, quarter's Nutmeg, a Blade of
Mace & a Race of ginger.

Pickled Champignons
Sir Kenelm Digbie's The Closet Open'd, 17th century

Cut the great ones into halves or quarters, seeing carefully there be
no worms in them; and peel off their upper skin on the tips: the
little ones, peel whole. As you peel them, throw them into a basin of
fair-water, which preserves them white.

Then put them into a pipkin or possnet of Copper (no Iron) and put a
very little water to them, and a large proportion of Salt. If you
have a pottle of Mushrooms, you may put to them ten or twelve
spoonfuls of water, and two or three of Salt. Boil them with a pretty
quick-fire, and scum them well all the while, taking away a great
deal of foulness, that will rise. They will shrink into a very little
room. When they are sufficiently parboiled to be tender, and well
cleansed of their scum, (which will be in about a quarter of an
hour,) take them out, and put them into a Colander, that all the
moisture may drain from them.

In the mean time make your pickle thus: Take a quart of pure sharp
white Wine Vinegar (elder-Vinegar is best) put two or threee
spoonfuls of whole Pepper to it, twenty or thirty Cloves, one Nutmeg
quartered, two or three flakes of Mace, three Bay-leaves; (some like
Lemon-Thyme and Rosemary; but then it must be a very little of each)
boil all these together, till the Vinegar be well impregnated with
the Ingredients, which will be in about half an hour. Then take it
from the fire, and let it cool.

When the pickle is quite cold, and the Mushrooms also quite cold, and
drained from all moisture: put them into the Liquor (with all the
Ingredients in it) which you must be sure, be enough to cover them.
In ten or twelve days, they will have taken into them the full taste
of the pickle, and will keep very good half a year. If you have much
supernatant Liquor, you may parboil more Mushrooms the next day, and
put them to the first. If you have not gathered at once enough for a
dressing, you may keep them all night in water to preserve them
white, and gather more the next day, to joyn to them.

How I made Pickled Champignons
makes about 1-1/2 gallons

A. Make pickle

              3-1/2 quarts white wine Vinegar
              3-1/2 quarts white Wine
              3/4 cup plus 2 TB whole peppercorns
              1/2 oz. whole Cloves
              7 Nutmegs, quartered
              14 flakes of Mace
              21 Bay-leaves
              7" fresh ginger

1. Mix vinegar with Pepper, Cloves, Nutmeg, Mace, Bay-leaves and sliced Ginger.
2. Bring to boil and simmer until Vinegar is well impregnated with
the Ingredients, about half an hour. Add a few spoonfuls of water if
the liquid shows signs of evaporating.
3. Remove from fire, and let cool, leaving all spices in it.

B. Prepare Mushrooms

              14 quarts Button Mushrooms, well cleaned and halved or quartered
              4 cups water
              7 TB Salt

1. Clean mushrooms just before cooking.
2. Put mushrooms in a non-iron pot with water and salt.
3. Bring to boil, then simmer. They will shrink into a very little
room. Parboil until tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Drain, and let cool.

C. Pickle the Mushrooms

1. When both pickle and mushrooms are cold, put mushrooms in spiced
liquid (with spices). If there isn't enough liquid to cover, make
more pickling liquid.
2. Keep in a cool place for 10 or 12 days.
3. If you have too much liquid, parboil more mushrooms the next day,
and add them.
4. Keep covered in cool place until feast.
5. If for immediate consumption, pour pickling liquid on mushrooms
while they're hot. Cool before eating.

----- End Recipes from my web site -----

Anahita

BTW, Adamantius, the reason this message has a red hot chili pepper
is the word "scum".