[Sca-cooks] Which dish goes to whom???

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Wed Jan 9 20:06:05 PST 2002

In a private exchange with Stefan, I shared with him something I used to do
to know which "special" request went to whom.  He thought I should share
this with the crew :-)

The best way to handle that kind of thing, and I must admit I never tried
it at a feast, is to use playing cards.  Used to do that at camp when I was
cooking for upwards of 450 kids, and there were requests for variations on
the meal.

Again, it goes back to planning <smile>  Get some playing cards.  Cut them
in half.  Whether a person has signed up ahead or at the last minute for a
different dish, organize a way for them to get the half card.   It can be
done at Troll when they check in, or it can be done at the time you meet
with them to talk about it.  Have a paper list of the cards available, then
beside it list which request it is for.

This goes on the assumption that one serving staff is assigned to one
table/section for the whole feast.

When the server goes to the section where there is someone with a card,
they then know who to serve what, based on the "chart" you have listed with
the half cards.

In the kitchen, you use the other half of the card and flag the appropriate
plate with it.

It only *seems* cumbersome, it actually works fairly well.

As Stefan pointed out, it's best not to use similar cards for the same
feast.  Avoid 8 and 9 of spades, for example.  One deck can do you use for
many a feast.

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom