[Sca-cooks] Another Turnip Recipe

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 10:23:03 PST 2002

Here's another recipe i've used with turnips. I was not excited about
these, but 9 out of 10 pies were eaten - and the "one pie" that was
left was a concatenation of slices that were leftover from various
pies, so i guess this was successful.

Anahita

Root Turten

Original
Marx Rumpolt, Ein Neu Kochbuch, German, 1581
30. Take roots (beets/turnips/carrots...)/ that have been fried/ chop
them/ and prepare them with butter/ and do not oversalt them/ so it
is a good filling for Turten.

1 turnip
2 parsnips
2 carrots
1 pint milk
1 nine-inch pie shells - i used "Nancy's" (found in the freezer case)
which are made with butter and are very good
1 stick butter
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp mace
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1 Tb sugar

1. Peel and cut up vegetables into chunks or circles.
     We cut the carrots and parsnips into circles and turnips into half-circles.
2a. Boil turnips in water to cover a few minutes, drain.
2b. Then simmer turnips in milk (with water to cover if necessary)
until tender, drain.
3. Boil parsnips and carrots in water to cover until tender, drain.
4. Melt butter in a pan on a low fire or in a glass, ceramic, or
plastic dish in a microwave oven.
5. Mix salt, spices and sugar into melted butter.
6. Toss vegetables with seasoned melted butter.
7. Put spiced and buttered vegetables in pie shell. Dot with a little
cut-up butter, if desired.
8. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit until pie shell is golden, about 15
or 20 minutes. Don't let vegetables dry out...

NOTE: I assumed that this wouldn't have been just cooked roots and
butter in a pie shell, but that the cook would have seasoned them in
accordance with their taste. To this end, i chose the spices based on
a review of a number of "period" German vegetable recipes. You may
want to make further adjustments to the seasoning.

FURTHER NOTE: This might be better if one precooks the shells, but it
isn't necessary.

EVEN FURTHER NOTE: beets could be used as a root in this dish, too.
And you could make it with one kind of root only or a different
mixture of roots...