[Sca-cooks] DAWSON CORRECTION was Well, in *that* case...

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jan 14 10:20:48 PST 2002

Lady Katherine Rowberd asked:
> Johnnae wrote:
> > let me reassure everyone that
> > Thomas Dawson's Good Huswifes Jewell, 2 parts,
> > STC numbers 6392 and 6395 does in fact contain
> > "The table of the booke follovving gathered according
> > to euery folio throughout the whole Booke".
>
> You're quite right.  I checked the front of the book, and didn't see it
> there, but didn't think to look forward a few pages in.
>
> This is what I get for looking at so many similar books that they all
> smush together in my poor addled brain.
>
> Did anyone want the ToC particularly?  I think the question was just
> asked in passing, no?

Well, actually I did have a reason for asking.  I was putting the
recipes
that you were quoting into a file for possible inclusion in the
Florilegium later. Since the recipes were not numbered, when the next
anticipated message arrived I was afraid I wouldn't know whether to put
it after of before what I already had. Thus the file might well be out
of order compared to the original manuscript/book. And if there were
more than two of one recipe it might be difficult to know which one
was being referred to. And without some kind of Table of Contents
listing or an index, it would be difficult to locate something if
there turned out to be alot of recipes.

So yes, the Table of Contents might be nice. However, since I believe
you've given me your permission to pillag...er use your file at your
website, I may just refer folks to that file, or maybe I'll just pick
it up from there later, rather than from the messages.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net