[Sca-cooks] Stuffed carrots was Re: stuffed turnips

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Jan 15 14:19:30 PST 2002

I don't know how they did it but on the next page is a recipe for stuffed carrots.  Maybe it will make things clearer.
To make a pudding in a carret root.
Take your Carret root and scrape it fair, then take a fine knife and cut out all the meat that is within the roote, and make it hollow, then make your pudding stuffe of the liver of a gooce or of a pig with grated bread, corance, cloves and mace, dates, pepper salt and sugar, chop your liver very small and perboile it ere you chop it, so dun, put it in your hollow root.  As for the broth, take mutton broth with corance, carrets sliste (sliced ?), salt, whole mace, sweet butter, vergious and grated bread and so serve it forth upon sippets.

Mirhaxa wrote:
Being easily distracted, what I noticed about this recipe was "make it
hollow as you do a carret roote". I can imagine stuffing a turnip but
can't quite imagine a carrot. Were they fatter? Bigger in general?