[Sca-cooks] Appropriate rice type for 15C Neapolitan

Meliora meliora at webone.com.au
Sun Jan 27 15:50:46 PST 2002

Morning all,

I haven't been keeping up with the list recently, so please let me know
privately if this topic has been covered recently.

I am thinking of attempting the following recipe from Scully's translation
of the Neapolitan collection.

My question is: what sort of rice would have been used?  Generic short
grain? Long grain? Arborio?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated
Regards
Meliora.

7. Rice with Almond Milk (hardcover edition page 176)

To make ten servings get a pound and a half of almonds and half a pound of
rice; wash the rice three times, cook it well and drain it thoroughly; grind
the almonds - so they do not make oil as they are ground, add in a little
clear water or rosewater - and strain them; set the almond milk to boil in a
pot with half a pound of fine sugar; as it begins to boil, add in the rice
and put the pot on coals away from the fire, stirring continuously with a
spoon, and let it boil for half an hour.

Similarly you can cook the rice with goat's milk or some other milk.