Of pickyness and allergies. Also attractive presentation (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Vegetarians)

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Tue Jan 1 14:44:51 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> In general, start the longest items first.  Then while those cook, do the
> rest.  Start the roast, don't worry what time it's gonna be done at.  Cook
> your potatoes right away.  When they are cooked, put them aside and plan
on
> keeping them warm for a little bit, or rewarming before serving.  Same
with
> the beans.  This gives you a little more elbow room at serving time.  Time
> to put in a few branches of fresh herbs here, a tomato skin rose there,
and
> other small easy items to enhance presentation.  Just food for thoughts
:-)

You may not have struck this problem before, but this sort of plan does not
suit all people well. My husband, at a young age, ate a significant amount
of Ciguaterra affected Spanish Mackeral, so has an interesting collection of
digestion problems related to this.

One of these is an awful sensitivity to any food-borne bacteria. His main
problems come with things kept hot for a not-inconsiderable amount of time.
If things are re-warmed, they must be rewarmed thoroughly to full cooking
temperature for enough time to kill any lurking bugs, and not rewarmed more
than once. I know this is supposed to be done all the time, but this warning
should be added to all rewarming instructions.

Glenda.