[Sca-cooks] Re. Roos and Fire down below....

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Jan 2 12:54:32 PST 2002

>> Yes, Roo is wonderfully tasty. Tastes like a  top
>> quality beef. Makes a
>> wonderful pie and stew, and is available from most
>> butchers around my way
>> (usually frozen) for about AUS$10.00/kg.
>Hmmm. At that price (translates about to $3.50/lb US,
>doesn't it?) I think I see why you folks eat so much
>of your relatively inexpensive lamb. Of course, I
>musta been from Oz in another life- or perhaps on my
>way there- lamb is my favorite red meat.
It's even cheaper. $10/kg translates to about $4.50/lb;
and the Australian dollar's been hovering around US 0.50
to US 0.60 or thereabouts; so it's around $2.75/pound -
more expensive than chicken (isn't everything?), and
quite a bit cheaper than good steaks. And cheaper than
some lamb (lamb chops are about $9/lb here, and that's
bloody expensive. <sigh>)

Alban