[Sca-cooks] Re. Roos and Fire down below....

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Wed Jan 2 13:05:15 PST 2002

Hey guys,

If the Grounds at Tara are indeed burnt out, they will have grown back by
Festival - after all MOST of the ground is simply grassland ....

Phlip, It's great to see you back and you know that most of us Aussies
understand your sense of humour.   You also KNOW you have a standing invite
to a Barbie anytime you visit Canberra!

As to Roo - well it depends of it is farm or feral.  Farmed roo is very much
like a rich beef and Glenda has already sent an excellent post on its
virtues.

As to wild roo, well it is much leaner and may have a "gamier" taste
depending on how/when it was killed.  Wild roo really only has the rump and
the side flanks as the only parts that have enough meat to be edible.  Oh
and tail makes great "oxtail style" soup and stews.

Yes I ate wild roo rump, baked and sliced cold for Xmas lunch.  I know it
was a "home grown" roo as I found a shotgun pellet in one of my slices of
the meat .......

Also, complete Off-Topic, mum and I installed some more shelving in the
kitchen last night and painted it.  Tonight I'll be able finally to unpack
all of the medieval cookbooks and get back to some real research and recipe
trialing ....

Hugs all
Mel.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.