[Sca-cooks] Please Update Your Project Listings, was Re Sshhh...

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sun Jan 6 09:23:17 PST 2002

So Gorgeous,

What is your translation project?

Here is the list I have of who is doing what project.  Please everyone,
send me updates & new listings!

Cindy
cindy at thousandeggs.com

---------

http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/msproj.html

Works in Progress
Medieval & Renaissance Cookbook Projects

The purpose of this list is to keep track of who is doing which manuscript.
This may aid scholars who may be searching for information, translation
assistance, or deciding on their next project. This list is also intended
to help avoid duplication of effort. Please contact me if you are working
on a culinary manuscript project and wish it to be listed here.

English

 "Delights for Ladies", Sir Hugh Plat, (1609) -- See transcription to date
http://infotrope.net/sca/cooking/ -- Kirrily Robert

"English Housewife", Gervase Markham -- See transcription to date
http://infotrope.net/sca/cooking/

"Babee's Book" , Furnivall (15th-16th century English) -- transcription of
recipes only --   Kirrily Robert

"The good huswifes handmaide for the kitchen" (1594) -- transcription--
Thomas Gloning

"The Good Huswife's Iewell , Thomas Dawson (1597)  -- transcription--
Kirrily Robert

King Henry VII, unpublished account of his Coronation Feast -- I am working
on gathering the recipes, both original and redacted -- Katerine

"Stere htt Well, the Pepys Manuscript" - I'm doing redactions when
possible, and am doing both a literal translation into modern script and a
modern version of the text.  --  James Matterer

"Wyl Bucke his Testament" (England, 1515) -- transcription -- Kirrily Robert

French

"Le Menagier de Paris", c. 1393, French. -- transcription of recipes -- See
transcription to date http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/ -- Cindy Renfrow

"Ouverture de Cuisine" (1604), currently transcribing with a view to
possibly translating some or all of it.  -- James Prescott, author of a
published translation of Le Viandier de Taillevent, with the assistance of
a group from the Madrone Culinary Guild.

Italian

"Epulario, or, The Italian Banquet" (English translation published 1598) --
transcription --   Kirrily Robert

German

I have raw transcriptions of the following German texts and am working on
proofreading them (Thomas Gloning):
              1495 Ain nützlichs büchlin von der speis des menschen
              1490 Küchenmeisterei
              c1480 cookbook in the Ms. Basel DII30
              1530 Groß-Schützener Gesundheitslehre (dietetic text)
              1545 Philippina Welser cookbook, handwritten: electronic
version is complete, need to wait until there is no more copyright
restriction)
              1559/60 A rare printed cookbook (Augsburg)
              1569 Staindl (ongoing)
              1579 The Mayr-cookbook (transcription complete, needs
proofreading)
              1603 Huebner
              (and several later German cookbooks)

"eine neue kochbuch" by Max Rumpolt.  I am working in collaboration with
Gwen Grasse (Denver, CO) on translating this  1581 German cookery book. It
was  printed/published in Frankfurt, Germany. The book is printed in the
Fraktur script in High German.  I have narrowed the script down to the
Schwabian script based upon various letter variations.After transcribing
sections, I then am working on translating it into modern German and then
into English. -- Tom Bilodeau

Catalan/Spanish

Catalunya MS 2112 "De apereylar be de menyar" -- A complete transcription
--Tom McDonald

"Libro de guisados, manjares y potajes  intitulado libro de cozina",
Ruperto de Nola,  Logrono, Spain, 1529, The translation  is now webbed in
the  Florilegium.  I am hoping to get the original Spanish transcribed and
webbed.  -- Robin Carroll-Mann

 "Libre de Sent Soví" -- A transcription, translation and redaction
incorporating all (3) extant manuscripts (University Library of Barcelona
MS 68, University Library of Valencia MS 216, and Library of Catalunya MS
2112), for print publication. The book is about 80% complete and I'm
shooting for publication in the 2004-2005 timeframe.   --Tom McDonald

"Libre de totes maneres de confits" from the Barcelona MS 68, a printed
booklet of about 25 recipes from to be released this summer or fall.
--Tom McDonald

"Libre de Totes Maneres de Confits", a 14th century treatise on
candymaking. http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/confits.htm
Translation from Catalan  --Vicente

Japanese

I am currently working on a minor monograph about food and cookery of the
late Muromachi to Genroku periods in Japan. It will include a complete
translation of
Ryorimonogatari as well as material drawn from other late sources. --
Solveig Throndardottir