[Sca-cooks] Working for Adamantius....

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jan 8 14:11:38 PST 2002

Phlip replied to me with:
> --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > I did forget to mention this. When we saw some of
> > the mussels get
> > delivered to other tables I did go up to the server
> > area and
> > requested, and got, some mussels. When I got more in
> > the kitchen,
> > this was actually my second time to get some.
>
> Stefan, if you'll remember our volunteer server was
> Max, who knows Margali well.

No, I was not aware that Max was our designated server. Various
folks kept disappearing from the table. I didn't try to keep track
of where everyone was going.

Personally, I dislike this "every table must provide a server"
bit. I think it is better for the hosting group to provide the
servers. It is perhaps selfish, but I enjoy having the opportunity
to talk with my tablemates during feast. When one of them, and
sometimes as much as half the table, keep getting up to serve
the food this is disruptive.

> Since he knows she's
> highly allergic to mussels, he may have simply not
> gone to get any.

Possible. I hadn't known of, or I'd forgotten, about
this allergy. If it was a problem for her to even have
the mussels brought to the table, then I would have
preferred to have had this mentioned and I would have
made other arrangements. I'd rather not just have such
a decision made without being informed.

> I didn't get any until someone went
> to the kitchen and bagged them up for me- I had mine
> for lunch yesterday. Very good ;-)

That was me. I bagged two ziplock bags of the leftover
mussels. I really do need to remember to put a box of
ziplock bags into my feastgear for taking home extra
goodies when the opportunity presents itself.

> Also, if you remember, we had discussed this while we
> were working on the lobster, and I told you that you
> needed to get more upright- as hunched over the work
> area as you were, it's no wonder your back was
> hurting, and I was bombing you with lobster juices ;-)

But standing, the counter is too far away for me to easily
see things. I think a stool is probably the solution,
although that kitchen was a bit tight for that. Perhaps
putting a cutting board on top of one of the six inch
deep rectangular pans might have worked as well. The
use of the proper cutting board, one with holes in
it or grooves, might also have allowed some of the
lobster water to drain off and not be so messy. That
would also have been more sanitary since the later
lobster parts would be sitting in the juice from the
previous lobsters when being opened.  Some kind of
gridded tray might have worked also, as I really wasn't
cutting the lobster claws. Just whalloping them once
with the knife blade.

Stefan li Rous