[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Jan 8 19:47:08 PST 2002

Stefan,

I seem to remember a general guideline page somewhere or other that was
covering that topic.  Could someone prompt my failing memory???

It is a delicate topic indeed.  Common sense would call for things such as:

--Planning the menu so you can cater to as many dietary requests as
possible, *before* folks need to request them.  For example, as Katherine's
article explain, plan your feast to include a substancial vegetarian aspect
to it.

--Request that all special requests be made a certain period of time ahead.

--Offer yourself to talk to anyone who has concerns ahead of time.  Listen
to concerns seriously.  Most of the people who come to you *ahead* of time
with a request for a change in diet are not just being picky.  The picky
people tend to be the ones showing up at the last minute, though not all
last minutes request are from picky people!!!

--Organize your "regular" work in the kitchen ahead of time.  Crazyness is
a given in any kitchen.  The more organized you are, the more time you may
have to handle "surprises".

--Be familiar with a few typical requests.  Low sodium, vegan, ovo-lacto,
whatever.  Plan for them.  You don't have to cook them, but if you have a
plan in case someone requests it, you'll have one less headache.

--Know your limitations.  If a request is out of your ability for that
particular feast, just refuse to do it.  If you have provided ways for
people to request dietary changes, you should be "safe" in doing
that.  Arrange for an event official to be available to argue with whomever
is being denied their last minute, sometimes unreasonable, request.  Half
an hour before you are about to serve is NOT the time to spend half an hour
arguing with a gentle about why you can't serve them a <insert extravagant
request here>.

--Know your abilities.  If something is within your range, be willing to do
it.  Don't dismiss a request out of hand.

These are a few thoughts off the top of my head.  Hope it helps

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom
aka