[Sca-cooks] What would you advise?

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Fri Jan 11 07:01:14 PST 2002

I'm not feeling particularily balanced when it comes to addressing this
problem, so I'm appealing to the list.

   We have a newly-arrived member of the barony who insists on eating
onboard. She doesn't consult with the cook beforehand (she and her husband
also eat as part of the "baronial mess" when we're camping), but she has an
allergy to onions that she says is so extreme that her throat will swell if
she kisses her husband after *he* eats a dish prepared with onions. There's
been a certain amount of silent pressure from her to push the host/ess of a
casual gathering (like a fighter's practise with munchies) to insure that
onion-less foods are provided.
   I have to admit, until she arrived, I'd never even considered how much I
relied on onions in my food preparations - nor thought of how insidious
their use was in pre-packaged foods like ketchup or sauces.

   I'm beginning to fear that the silent pressure will increase (not from
her, but from other members of the barony who are reacting to her youth and
beauty and her husband's potential as a really good fighter) to the point
that our cooks will no longer be comfortable serving foods... it has already
caused stress for the hosts and hostesses of our holiday gatherings.

   Are there any kind of substitutions for onions? Is this actually an easy
fix? Are we going over-board in catering to this sigular sensitivity? (I
must add that at our last event, the feast cook was not informed of the
girl's allergy and was considerably taken aback when on the day of the event
she was treated to stunned disbelief that she'd planned a menu that involved
onions - and the girl made a quietly public scene by breaking into tears in
her husband's arms in the main hall when he left the kitchen to tell her
what the menu was... but that could have been merely stress and dismay, and
not artifice.) I'm at a loss as to how to address this, and at some point,
as the baroness, I'm going to have to. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Rosine