[Sca-cooks] Re: Handling special diet needs at feasts

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 10 11:59:14 PST 2002

Mez commented:
> My intolerance list is the same, just add chicken, pork products, some
> fruits and oh my horror White Wine!.
> It is very hard to go anywhere, I normally take my own little "stash" food
> with me so I can keep quite. I absolutely hate having stuff specially
> prepared for just me, but I do like alternatives being on the table or
> brought around as everyone starts. Its less of a bother an conspicuous.

I think this is the first I've seen you comment here on this list, Mez.
Welcome to SCA-Cooks! How about telling us a little about yourself,
where your interests and experiences lie?

I understand your hating to have stuff especially prepared for just
you. You may also have a tendancy to want to blend into the
background and not noticed. My wife does this, and did it a lot more
when she first joined the SCA. My appologies if I'm making you
uncomfortable, but in many ways, I'd rather deal with your attitude
than that of some Peers. Such as the one that threw someone's fish
and grill into Cooper's Lake because she didn't like fish and
expected everyone else to bow to her wishes.

I know you referred to a list of foods you couldn't eat from
another message. But if you will tell us more precisely what
you can't eat and what type of dishes you might like, perhaps
among the wide range of knowledge of folks on this list, we could
make some recommendations of specific medieval foods or dishes
that you might be able to eat and would like. Some of these might
even be things that you could prepare ahead of time and then
be able to take to a feast and eat and enjoy the company of others
while there. We have discussed (and argued) the pros and cons of
allowing offboard and onboard folks to eat together. But with
restrictions like yours, I'd like to think some compromises could
be reached.

THL Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net