[Sca-cooks] What would you advise?

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Fri Jan 11 16:53:27 PST 2002

> Ted Eisenstein wrote:
> > You know, if the baronial cooks relied that much on onions, even I'd
start
> > to wonder. I like onions - but not so much that every remove have them.
> > Would it really be that much of a problem to have more dishes without
> > onions in them? You might wind up with happier campers overall. . .
> >

> Does this allergy include scallions, shallots and leeks too?  These
> are all in the "onion" family.  And could really impact what you can
> cook.
> Cindy Ferguson

   Alban: No, darlin', we don't put onions in everything. The impact is
kinda heavy, however, because food and munchies are common at baronial
gatherings, and we have 2-3 of those a week, usually with say, chicken
wings, lumpia, a grill and sausages and meats, dips... basic picnic type
food, all brought by different people, who now have to discard any pre-mixes
that contain onions or "assorted spices". We're learning to hate "assorted
spices". And of course, each cook who once proudly brought their home-made
traditional whatever now feel constrained to not bring it because juggling
two dishes is a real pain when you're also bringing armor, kid's stuff,
books to share... Event feasts are actually easier to plan. It's either have
a central coordinator for every get-together (can you spell doom?) or find a
better solution.

Cindy: I thought of that, and asked her. She doesn't know. Given her
reactions to the slightest trace of onion, I don't know if she'd be wise to
try an experiment, although she seems willing to try (we've kicked around
the idea of trying to figure out a safe way to test, us old
survivor-training vets, but really, none of us are stupid enough to actually
try it).

Rosine