[Sca-cooks] period mashed turnips

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 14 03:47:42 PST 2002

A F Murphy wrote:

> I got some turnips the other day, and went through your florifiles. Lots
> of turnip recipes! Then I looked more closely ... lots of armored
> turnips and rapes in pottage... many variations of both, but not much
> else. I'll probably try the second, but anyone have any suggestions for
> anything else? I want to start actually cooking something, not just
> reading about it.

I STR a recipe in Le Menagier which involves frying strips of turnips
and then sprinkling them with spice powder, and then there's their
presence in English compost recipes. I believe there are also recipes
for turnip tarts of various types (late period), and quite a few uses
for turnip greens.

On the other hand, after I;ve had my tea I may be a little better on
detail...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy