[Sca-cooks] I obviously need medication

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Jan 15 08:04:24 PST 2002

The facilities for the guests at this demo are not primitive. Just the conditions for the cook.
There is a park building there.  The feast will be dished up and served within the heated and electrically lit building.  I will just be heating food up on the coleman stoves outside (using them in the building may be risky), then keeping the food warm (and/or reheating) inside in the roasters and crock pots.  The chickens will be roasted in an oven at home (so will be cooked through) transported to the site and kept hot (out of the danger zone) in a roaster.  I chose chicken because of the cost (on sale $1 /lb as opposed to beef, on sale $2.40/lb) and because several other meats are already present.  Veal in the first course pies, pork in the gourds in pottage.  I plan on serving the chicken (i.e. it will be deboned and sliced) over sops with plenty of some sort of sauce over them so even if they dry out a bit I should be able to fudge it.
Helewyse
-Magdalena da Cadamosto said:
Actually, y'all have done a couple of full feasts out of Weber where the
kitchen was a covered pavilion with picnic tables, a grill, and a
free-standing water tap.  The second time, we arrived on site to discover
that the water on site wasn't potable.  Teresa was the head cook for both
of those feasts, and she managed to feed 200 or so quite handily.
I'd add something to go on the bread (I have trouble eating it dry).  I
don't really like serving whole chicken, because as feaster I don't like
eating it, especially at out door events.  It's messy, there are too many
bones left at the end, and (being paranoid and NOT an opinion on YOUR
cooking) at camping feasts the lighting isn't always good enough for me to
be sure that the chicken is cooked properly.  Also, if you roast some
other meat, it is less likely to dry out in the roaster should something
happen to delay you.  Other than that nitpicking, it sounds like a really
good plan.