[Sca-cooks] Stuffed carrots-what would happen if

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 16 09:24:24 PST 2002

On 16 Jan 2002, at 16:49, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> It seems you would have to cut the carrots into sections since they
> have a tendency to split.  I have done lots of carving in veggies and
> carrots are darn hard to do without them just suddenly deciding to
> split.  I have not seen the references Brighid mentioned that can be
> found in Granado where she says he describes hollowing out the inside
> of the carrot to make a tube. Would like to though.  I wonder if he
> says to par-boil them for a bit to soften them.  That would make
> sense. Olwen

I don't have time to translate them right now, but I glanced at the
two recipes.  Zanahorias Rellenas (stuffed carrots) calls for peeled
carrots to be cut into sections.  The sections are cored and *then*
parboiled.  They are then stuffed with a sweet mixture, coated with
egg, and fried.

Zanahoria Encañuta (carrot made into a hollow cane) calls for
carrots that are peeled and hollowed out, then cooked in honey.  It
doesn't say that the carrots should be cut into sections, but neither
does it specify that they should be left whole.

I'll translate those two recipes sometime soon.  Right now I have to
go to work, and when I return tonight, I have to cook a rabbit stew
for the Thursday cook's guild meeting.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net