OT Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Nasty flavors-

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 17 04:01:32 PST 2002

A F Murphy wrote:

> Well, even here in Manhattan there are back yards. Not many, and I've
> never had one myself, but I've always known people who did. Live in
> brownstones, usually, but many of the older apartment houses have back
> yards.  Others have terraces, balconies, etc. I live surrounded by
> gardens, but they are shared, and I can't personally plant anything in
> them. Of course, I also don't have to weed and mow and water...
>
> And that's just Manhattan. There are four more boroughs, each of which
> is a whole county. There are many apartment buildings in them, but they
> also all have lots of houses. My brother lives in a two family house in
> Brooklyn, where his landlord has a yard. (He's a block from the
> ocean...) I know plenty of people in the city who live in single or two
> family houses with back yards. And gardens, in which some grow
> vegetables...
>
> Anne of the greatly varied city

Nah, it's true. Stop trying to fake it. We have two kinds of people in
this world. We have the people who might, just might, have pink aluminum
Christmas trees planted at the feet or our huge, featureless, concrete
monoliths (in which we all live in penthouse apartments, which we in
turn share with four-foot-long cockroaches and giant rats). Downstairs
(not that we use the stairs, we're too effete for that) are the homeless
people and the muggers.

And then you have the people in other places, with ramshackle wooden
outhouses out in back of their homes, little half-moons cut in the
doors, guys wearing overalls with one strap undone. Barefoot. Armed with
more weapons than the big city muggers... occasionally chasing after a
somewhat-too-close relation.

And absolutely _nothing_ in between. We all live in either one
environment or the other, bar none, and my memories of living on three
of the thousands of quiet, tree-lined streets in New York City for my
entire life, with the exception of the year I spent living in a house on
a street which had few trees, but was within a short walk of places to
fish, dig for clams, and catch blue crabs, all of which were edible,
have been a fantasy...

Adamantius, Who Has Never Seen a Cattail
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com