[Sca-cooks] Re: Nasty flavors-

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 12:16:03 PST 2002

Well, back to nasty flavors.

I've mentioned my aversion to bell peppers and
licorice flavors, others dislike the bitter chemical
in the cabbage family, and we've also discovered the
unlikable flavor in cilantro- to some of us, it tastes
like soap (I'm one, although I can tolerate it in
reasonably small amounts. Sensen candy also has a
soapy flavor to some- does that help figure out what
that chemical might be?) And, discussion with Margali
helped determine that the "bitter" flavor in turnips
tastes rather like pepper to others, including me.

I know Cariadoc considers saffron flavor to be a
scribal error ;-), and Adamantius feels the same way
about eggplant.

Anything else that someone feels is a particularly
nasty flavor in common foodstuffs?

Phlip,

Who is finding these thoughts about food chemistry
fascinating.