[Sca-cooks] handwashing at feasts

Tara Sersen Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Wed Jan 23 15:17:32 PST 2002

Cool!  I have a couple of questions regarding propriety in a public
(i.e. feast) situation.  The DeNola and Rhodes quotes seem to imply that
a noble is served by his own man, but it's not clear if that's only in
his own home or in all situations.  Since a visiting nobleman would
bring his own man to wait upon him, might it be appropriate for him to
do this rather than his host's servents?  Do you know anything about
Mead's sources for his quote?  I see you note in the bibliography that
he's not a very reliable resource.  Would a highly ranking noble trust
his host's servents to present him with something like washing water
(i.e. it could be poisoned)?  While I see lots of primary evidence for
handwashing on a small scale (i.e. family, family and a few visitors,)
do you know of any primary references for offering it as a service on a
larger scale?  Or are we considering our feasts to be "family and a few
visitors," with the "few" part taken liberally due to the size of our
society?

I could probably think of more questions, but I have to run for a
birthing class...  This is a good start :)

-Magdalena