[Sca-cooks] handwashing at feasts

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jan 24 06:55:35 PST 2002

> he's not a very reliable resource.  Would a highly ranking noble trust
> his host's servents to present him with something like washing water
> (i.e. it could be poisoned)?  While I see lots of primary evidence for
> handwashing on a small scale (i.e. family, family and a few visitors,)
> do you know of any primary references for offering it as a service on a
> larger scale?

Actually, all the sources that give specific directions for handwashing
deal with large feast situations where there are a lot of people in the
hall. They also general instruct the servants to kiss the towel and take a
sip of the handwashing water when serving someone of high degree (to
publically test for poison).  I didn't put that in the article because we
don't need to do it...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa