[Sca-cooks] Re: Almond Milk

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 19:36:34 PST 2002

Greetings, all

I think I've got the hang of making the stuff, but I'm not always sure
I've got the right consistancy, and keeping it is another matter
entirely.
I usually end up with either a thick, rather textured liquid, which
separates on standing, or a thin watery liquid with bits of nut paste.

Which is correct ?  I know - it depends on the instructions <g>   But
really, IS there a preferred texture/thickness, when the ingredient
list just says "a fine milke of alymands" or such-like ?
Why does it separate, and which part should I use ? Or should I shake
it up to mix it back together.

Next problem:  How in blazes do I keep the stuff ?!   I'm always making
up either too much, or too far in advance (make it up, then not get
back to the rest of the recipe until later).
After a few days in the fridge, it's all separated out, almost like
canned coconut milk, and it starts to ferment, smell strange, and/or
turn the loveliest shades of pink and orange.
I hate to waste it.  Does it freeze ? Can I pour it into a cube tray
and pop out little almond milksicles ?

Thanks,   Bethra

=====
Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant