[Sca-cooks] Re: Almond Milk

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Fri Jan 25 15:56:41 PST 2002

> I think I've got the hang of making the stuff, but I'm not always sure
I've got the right consistancy, and keeping it is another matter entirely. I
usually end up with either a thick, rather textured liquid, which separates
on standing, or a thin watery liquid with bits of nut paste.<

    Someone, somewhere gave me the directions that 1 pound of almonds will
yeild 1 gallon of almond milk.
What ratios are you using?  Obviously, when I want a richer thicker "cream"
I'll use 1/2 the liquid stated above.    Yes, almond milk separates upon
standing  -- just shake it up.  Like "real" milk, it doesn't keep well after
a couple days,  but it does freeze nicely.  I generally use milk jugs with
enough space to expand.  If you want to keep it for smaller portions, use a
smaller size receptle.

    When I make up almond milk, I use my food processor, whirl about a  cup
of nuts {not yet ground} with just enough liquid not to overflow the bowl,
strain, re-use the now chunky ground nuts & some fresh ones, add liquid &
whirl & strain, and repeat til all the nuts are meal-ground and I have my
gallon of milk (or whatever quanitiy I need).

    Caointiarn