[Sca-cooks] Andalusian feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 25 00:30:26 PST 2002

Vittoria replied to me with:
> Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> >Yes! There's not enough fish at SCA feasts.
>
> So I gather :)  I personally love fish (in fact, given the choice, I'd usually rather eat fish than meat or chicken...)  I'm told that if there's salmon people will eat it like there's no tomorrow, but any other fish will barely be touched... :-/

Perhaps these files might help give you some perspective on this issue:
fish-feast-art     (6K)  3/29/00    Details and recipes for a mid-Lent
                                       "fish feast" by Rudd Rayfield.
feasts-fish-msg   (11K)  8/21/00    Serving fish at SCA feasts.

> >Some of the answers to your questions are likely to be pretty specific
> >to the kitchen facilities you have available, the traditions in your
> >area and maybe even Middle Eastern feasts.
>
> That's true.  One of the autocrats is also doing the bulk of research on feasting traditions, in the Middle and Near East in general but mostly in 12th-13th c. Andalusia.  (Since we're getting some funding from the university for this, we're trying to make it as academic - but still lots of fun! - as we can.)

Unless it conflicts with this university funding, if someone wants to write
an article about these feasting traditions, I'd love to have such an
article(s) for the Florilegium. All I've got right now is that message
file I've mentioned, and it's not that large.

> >There is some general suggestions and notes of things to watch for in
> >this file in the FEASTS section of the Florilegium:
> >headcooks-msg    (155K)  5/17/01    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
> >http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/headcooks-msg.html
>
> That was one of the first places I went fo r information after I signed up to do this feast.
>
> >ME-feasts-msg     (20K)  5/19/99    Middle Eastern feasts. sitting, serving.
> >http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/ME-feasts-msg.html
>
> Haven't checked that one out yet; thanks!

Sure. I don't wish to bother folks, but I don't know which files, if any,
someone has checked out. I tend to post them anyway. I'd like to think
that one of these was new to you, confirms this decision.

> >After you are through, if you are interested, I might be willing to
> >consider such a booklet for addition to the Florilegium.
>
> Oh, wow - that would be awesome!  Thanks :-)  But even if there's no space for it in the Florilegium, I think we'll probably put it on our college website, so it will be accessible either way.<

Other than increasing the chances of folks getting lost and not coming
out, space is not expected to be a problem. PC disks are cheap. I'm
quite happy that most folks consider it an honor to get something
placed in the Florilegium. The removal requests have been far
outweighed by the number of comments such as yours.

Oh! Just thought of this recently added file in the FOOD-SWEETS section.
Andlsn-Pstres-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Andalusian Pastries" by Dinah bint Ismai'l.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net