[Sca-cooks] Festival of the Rose: Menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 25 07:07:27 PST 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> I hope you try the meatloaf from Form of Curye
> and take pictures of it.  I would be most curious to know about that one!
> If not and you still want to do a meatloaf, you might consider the hedgehog
> recipe, they are very entertaining.

<snip>

>> closer to the event.  I found a recipe, which I believe is from a Form of
>> Curye that is a meatloaf in the shape of a peapod that I THOUGHT I would
>> redact...it would be my first redaction, so I'm not 100% sure I want to do
>> that or not though.

I think that's one of the leche royal variants; I think it's in one of
the Two 15th-Century Cookery-Books. I never really associated it with
meatloaf, myself (which I would interpret as shaping raw meat into a
loaf and cooking it, with the possible exception of salmon loaf, which
can be made from cooked or even canned salmon) but I suppose you could
see it that way. IIRC, you cook and chop meat (probably pork or capon)
and make a sort of haggis-y structure, which you then cut into
half-rounds, reminiscent of peasecods, for service. I don't recall if
further cooking is involved.

>> I plan on taking pictures to share with everyone.  Keep your fingers
>> crossed
>> for us!  >
>> --Arte

I will! I had planned on it, too... ;-(