[Sca-cooks] Festival of the Rose: Menu

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jan 25 23:28:47 PST 2002

Huette replied to me with:
> --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > > Cold tray with pickles, mushrooms, beets,
> > > asperigus and possibly artichokes.
>
> Actually, the cold tray is of pickled cucumbers,
> pickled mushrooms, pickled beets, pickled eggs,
> pickled asparagus, picked carrots and artichoke
> hearts.  All are being made by us, with the exception
> of the artichoke hearts.  Those with be purchased.
> All of the "pickles" are from different period
> recipes, with the exception of the eggs, which I
> decided to do with the beets, even though I haven't
> found documentation concerning pickled eggs.

Thank you. This makes more sense.

> > > Compound Sallat with chicken (from Eating
> > > Shakespear)
> > > Brie Tart (from King's Taste)
> > > Beet Tart (Huette's recipe)
>
> Actually, we decided not to do this.  I am going to
> make stuffed mushrooms from a recipe I found in
> Scully's Early French Cookery, which originally states
> that it is a mushroom pie, but Scully suggests that
> they can be made without a pie crust.

Yes, I think a mushroom pie sounds much better than a
beet pie. :-) Or maybe that was supposed to be "beer pie"?

> > > Livering Puddings (Queen's Taste)

Oh yes. Forgot to ask. Is this a pudding made from
liver?

> > Do you have specific evidence of things being served
> > flaming, which
> > I assume is what is done with this Pear Flambe, in
> > period?
>
> I think that Arte found the recipe in "The Delectable
> Past" and wanted to try it.

Okay. If I remember though "The Delectable Past" covers
way past 1600. I'll try to remember to go find my copy
and look this up.

> > > All the "flour" we use will be wheat flour, most
> > > likely, to deal with
> > > Catalina's "dislike" of it.
> >
> > Dislike of what, wheat flour? Then why are you using
> > it? I think I'm
> > missing something here.
>
> Actually, we have been asking her chief lady in
> waiting about this, but haven't gotten a straight
> answer.  Either she is allergic to white flour, but
> not wheat flour or she dislikes it greatly.  The same
> goes for white sugar.  She will accept brown sugar or
> honey, but not anything with white sugar.  Either way,
> we are changing the recipes to fit her specifications.
>  It is her day, after all, and we are only feeding the
> Royals, the Baronials and the Royal Court.

This too, makes a lot more sense than the way it was
originally stated. Since there is some question just
how white the medieval flour and sugar was, using
the darker versions of these may be a reasonable compromise.

See the flour-msg and the sugar-msg and sugar-sources-msg files
for more info on this.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net