[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]SALT was NEW BOOK

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jan 28 10:07:05 PST 2002

Back when we were having the various
below/above salt and oversalting threads
of conversations, I noted on 9 Jan that
there are actually 2 new works and a third
reissue that people might want to check out.

They are:

Salt. Grain of Life. by Pierre Laszlo.
Translation of Chemins et savoirs du sel[1998]
by Mary Beth Mader. New York: Columbia University
Press, 2001.Notes, but no index or bibliography sections.

and

Salt. A World History. by Mark Kurlansky. Walker and
Company, 2001. This is by the author of Cod and is featured
in the new issue of Saveur number 56.

A 1996 publication that might also be of interest is:
Neptune's Gift : A History of Common Salt.
(John Hopkins Studies in the Hist of Tech, New Series 2)
by Robert P. Multhauf. Reissue edition (September 1996)
Johns Hopkins Univ Pr; ISBN: 0801854695.

I have not seen this latest Kurlansky work yet, but if
it's in the same style as COD it ought to be entertaining
at least. The Saveur article was positive.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway