[Sca-cooks] Banquet dels Quatre Barres - service, length, menu

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 29 07:32:26 PST 2002

And Margali offered the following comments on clay pottery:
> do be warned that any sauce or greasy fingermarks on the unglazed outside
> may not wash off thoroughly, they may tend to sink in and be both
unsightly
> and slightly greasy to the touch as the heat of the room and  foods within
> may cause the grease to remain liquidy.
> margali

Thanks. You are right, up to a point. I have experienced this with my own
cazuelas (mostly from frying asparagus in them). Finger marks even remain on
some of the early cassolas in the museums, too. One of the hazards of
unglazed pottery. My experience with the small pottery is that it washes up
well, though. Fortunately, at 29 cents each for the small ones, and 49 cents
each for the larger ones, if it doesn't wash up, I don't have to worry about
breaking the bank. While I'm not in the habit of throwing out perfectly good
pottery, it won't be the end of the world if I have to discard a few. Still,
I'm hoping people will have better things to do than stare at the bottom
inch of the outside of the sauce bowls all evening! Fortunately, the serving
platters are like any other Pfaltzgraf pieces, and are glazed on both sides.
They will clean up nicely.

Regards,
Thomas