[Sca-cooks] wrt: sugar types

mls mschulte at mcw.edu
Tue Jan 29 08:58:03 PST 2002

Although this is not a period source, the new book by Regan Daley, _In the
Sweet Kitchen: the Definitive Baker's Companion_ (New York, Artisan, 2001;
ISBN 1579652085) has a subchapter on Sweeteners.  It has at least (usually
more) a paragraph with definitions, uses, etc on baking sweeteners CURRENTLY
available.  From what I recall, it covers jaggery, aspartame, white sugar,
brown sugar, light and dark treacle, molasses, fructose, dextrose, corn
syrups, maple syrups, honey, a type of Asian sweetener (I don't remember the
name), palm sugar, etc etc.  The beginning half of the book appears to be a
nice reference work for current ingredients, substitutions, weight
conversions, etc..

serena

> I have seen several times here people saying that brown sugar was just
white sugar mixed with molasses.