[Sca-cooks] Re: Banq. dels 4 Barres - "sofregit"

mls mschulte at mcw.edu
Tue Jan 29 09:09:57 PST 2002

sofregit
Could this term be related to the Italian (current) "sofritto"?  Which,
according to M.Hazan in _Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking_ and G.
Bugialli in _The Fine Art of Italian Cooking_ the term not only refers to a
type of light frying/sweating but also to a basic mixture of vegetables
similar to the mirepoix.  (The latter book by the way, begins with a
facsimile of a menu for a period (14c?15c?) feast from the Italian
peninsula).

serena

> No. However the term used, "sofregit", doesn't translate well into
English.
> It translates as "to lightly fry." According to a 4th or 5th generation
cook
> with whom I spent time in Barcelona, a better definition in cooks' terms
> would be to fry gently, without burning. Grewe defined it as
"underfrying".